Thursday, February 27, 2014

Marketing vs. Writing

   Hi everyone! I have been spending a lot of time lately working on how to market my book, and not much doing editing or writing on my current projects. But there have been a lot of times where I've seen advice to just keep writing, and not spend so much time on marketing. So what is necessary? Of course, being as new to the market as I am, I don't claim to have answers. Although I am trying to learn a happy medium between writing and marketing. One answer: both are important. In order to have a product to sell, you have to keep writing and working. But in order to sell it, you need to market.
   I am not very good at marketing. This I will admit to anyone who asks. What I am is determined. I am determined to keep working on my writing, to write stories people will enjoy. And then I am determined to spend time promoting myself and my books. Of course I make mistakes along the way (some of which are listed in a previous post about self-publishing) but I am spreading out across the internet in ways I never thought I would. I joined Twitter, something I never thought I would do, about two weeks ago and have over two hundred followers. Of course I made the mistake of following a bunch of authors who are also trying to sell their works, but that is a way to start. Any readers who follow them could potentially see my name, and my books info, and choose to follow me. Is that the right way to go about it? I have no idea, but it is how I am doing it for now. I am also part of several Facebook groups, where I post links to my books, my blog, and my page every couple days to keep my name out there.
   Google+ is another forum I have joined in the last couple months, and I am still working on learning how to use it properly for marketing and helping others to market. Once I start getting some sort of feedback for my books, or comments about anything I am doing, I may adjust how I do things, but for now I simply do what I can.
   Currently I am working on editing the third book of my series: Hunter, tentatively scheduled for a Summer '14 release, and have started writing the fourth book. So yes, I am still working on writing along with marketing. But marketing does have a way of keeping me busy as well. Posting things about myself and my likes outside of writing so I can show people who I am along with what my books are about is not an easy thing to do, because I have always been a quiet person, who keeps quiet about things that are going on in my life. But I am striving to get better. Any comments or questions you have that you think could help in that venture would be appreciated! As always I love hearing from people and would enjoy a chance to communicate with anyone who is interested! Thanks for your time!

No comments:

Post a Comment